Since finishing my Flower Tower (and wondering what on earth I am going to do with it) I’ve been thinking about making another 3d vessel. If it’s a success it will be destined for the lounge to sit next to a felted bowl I made last year with Jenny Pepper. I love the grey and lemon colour scheme of the bowl and so I began by wet felting some fibres to match it.
I didn’t have a shape in mind but they turned out a bit like grey bacon rashers! I repeated the exercise, this time laying out three lots of very fine fibres and covering each of them with a strip of white organza. If you click on the photo below to enlarge it you will see the organza more clearly.
The next step was to roughly cut 3 pieces of Lutradur and paint it with Inktense Blocks. I say “roughly” because I want the finished effect to look organic and distressed so I’m not working to a precise measurement or shape.
I have several threads of dubious quality (I haven’t a clue what some of them are made of) so I spent a bit of time last night blasting them with my heat gun to confirm which are 100% cotton, as opposed to polyester, and which are Rayon, as opposed to Nylon. That job done, it was time to start machining with cream, grey, gold and dark olive. It needs a lot more stitching yet but I will put this piece to one side for now and work on the other two sections.