Playing Catch-up…..

Once again I am back to playing catch up with projects and posts.  I’ve been feeling pretty down and lethargic over recent months, for reasons I won’t go into on here, but the year is fast coming to a close and it’s time to give myself a good shake up and get back to normal.

So the first project to feature is one I did as a result of being invited down to London to stay with my niece and her husband at the end of November.  They have recently moved house and I got a request to make a pair of Roman blinds for their new study…….what better excuse could there be for a week in London? Sophie chose a lightweight dress fabric for the blinds, which give me a little concern as I wasn’t sure how well they would hang.  It wasn’t the easiest fabric to work with but once they had been lined I needn’t have worried as they turned out fine and thankfully they are both delighted with them.

Roman blinds

The second project was this years “ugly” fabric challenge with Sitting Ducks.  Each year, just before Christmas, one of our members supplies us all with an A4 size piece of fabric (which we probably would never have chosen to use ourselves) and we have to make something with it.  After a couple of weeks of wondering what to do with my green and orange crocodiles, and knowing that I wanted to completely disguise the pattern, I finally hit on an idea and Griselda was born.  She stands 17″ tall, has a wire frame with a needle felted body and fabric wrapped legs & arms.  I added three colours of netting as “wings” to make her into an Autumnal fairy.  I had intended to make her face from fabric but realised, the night before we were due to hand in our pieces, that if I was going to get her finished in time I needed a quicker solution for her face, hence the air dry clay.


  

Although no-one said anything out loud, once we had all placed our work on the table it dawned on me that mine was the odd one out as Sitting Ducks is actually a “quilting” group.  Hey, ho………I had fun making her anyway!

My New Workroom Blinds…..

The second of today’s “catch-ups” is my new Roman Blinds.  I loved the Jakarta fabric from Dunelm with its botanical theme which I used for Bobs hallway earlier this year and knew I wanted to use it again…….my two workroom windows seemed the obvious place.

The fabric has given the room a very cheerful feel and the off cuts came in useful to make a bright tote bag for carrying my stash and equipment to workshops.

Botanical Blinds…..

I was recently at a friends house and, during the conversation we were having about what colour he should paint the hallway, I mentioned that I thought a pair of Roman blinds with a strong pattern would make a nice feature.  Bobs windows overlook the Joseph Banks Centre Garden so it naturally followed that the fabric should have a botanical theme.  I found a bold, leafy patterned fabric called “Jakarta” in Dunelm Mill and assumed that my job was done.  My friend had other ideas and said he liked the fabric but he wanted me to make the blinds.  After much fretting about whether or not I had got them “square” enough, this is the result.  It’s the first time I have made Roman blinds but the instructions on the sew-helpful site were very good and I am really pleased with the finished product……and thankfully so is Bob!