More Mixed Media…..

I have been asked to show more detailed images of how I created the butterfly and dragonfly pictures seen in my last post so here is version number three with extra photos.

The various items used was the same for all of the pictures.

Various items used to create the pictures.

 

Butterflies and dragonflies cut out from Farfella wallpaper from B&Q

Farfalla wallpaper sample from B&Q was used for the insects

The insects were all cut from a sample of ‘Farfalla’ wallpaper by Statement available from B&Q and the ‘text’ on the first dragonfly picture was torn from a sample of ‘Travel’ wallpaper by Colours, again from B&Q. I used a limited colour pallet of Daler Rowney sap green and process magenta for the first two versions.

 

Travel wallpaper from B&Q was used on the first of the dragonfly pictures and on the book cover.

Travel wallpaper from B&Q was used on the first of the dragonfly pictures and on the book cover.

Each of the pictures began with a background which was stamped using acrylic paint on a wide piece of lace. It worked out blotchy and had very little detail but, as it was only the background, I figured it didn’t matter.

In the latest picture I took my colour scheme from a sample of B&Q ‘Newsprint’ wallpaper. I began by mixing Daler Rowney ultramarine with process magenta and yellow ochre to get the background shade I wanted. This was painted onto bits of lace and onto a ‘leaf’ and these were stamped using a homemade brayer. First time round I did it using a small tin but this time progressed to my deluxe version (a piece of metal clothes rail cut down to approx 3 inches and pushed onto a small paint roller).

Acrylic paint is mixed to compliment the blue seen in the Newsprint wallpaper.

Mixing acrylic paint to match the blue shade seen in the ‘Newsprint’ wallpaper.

 

Frugal crafting with my home made brayer.

Frugal crafting with my home made brayer.

As the background started to take shape I loosely laid the papers to get an idea of where I wanted them.

The papers are loose laid to establish their positioning.

The papers are loose laid to establish their positioning.

More stamping was done using a funky foam flower (central area) while the green stamp in the bottom left corner was made from a leaf shape, again cut from lace and painted with acrylic (a little yellow ochre and magenta mixed with sap green). Sequin waste was used as a stencil, top left and on the right hand edge. For this a little more ochre, a lot more magenta and a little white was added to the background blue and applied with a sponge.

 

Stencilling with sequin waste.

Stencilling with sequin waste.

More stamping and stencilling.

More stamping and stencilling…..the hessian is loose laid and will change position before I’ve finished.

Several transparent leaves, in coral, yellow, blue and teal, were applied using PVA. Rather than pasting the leaf it’s far easier to simply lay them on the paper and apply the paste directly on top, it soaks through easily. The large dragon fly was pasted in place and strips of netting were laid vertically on the paper, and again, pasted over with generous amounts of PVA. As the acrylic paint is permanent once it’s dry you can paste over it without fear of smudging. I discovered this isn’t the case with the Distress Ink, it will smudge, so I was careful to avoid getting any PVA on the tiny dragon flies, which were the last stamps to be applied.

Detail showing the netting and leaves.

Detail showing the netting and leaves.

The ‘Newsprint’ paper was finally glued down and a border of hessian, bleached with Miltons to tone it down a little, was added to the left hand edge using a cool melt glue gun. I got my gun from The Range, it was very cheap but is in use constantly and I would definitely recommend them. To finish off bead accents were applied, again using the glue gun.

Dragonfly mixed media picture in blue.

Third of the insect mixed media pictures.

You could go on forever adding layers of transparent fabric and trims, it’s quite addictive and a fun way of experimenting with different materials/techniques.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “More Mixed Media…..

  1. Wow, I’d love to do freeform work like this. I really need to free my mind more. Everything you do is really lovely. I’m enjoying all of it. When you got started, was it difficult, or did you fall right in and swim from the start?

    Like

    • I like to experiment, have fun and just try things out. I don’t often have the finished article in my head, so projects tend to evolve and I go with the flow. I think some folk suppress their creativity because they are too critical of their own work and they have an image in their mind of how their finished work should look. I was talking to a textile artist called Lynda Monk last weekend and she said she never has failures…things just work out differently! If something goes drastically wrong it can always be cut up and recycled on a smaller scale! That sounded like my sort of philosophy. You are obviously very talented and I look forward to seeing you do some mixed media work.

      Liked by 1 person

    • Don’t apologise….I was happy to do it. It’s a good idea to show how projects evolve. In the past I have been very hit and miss with recording the different stages of the work I do but your request has made me think about this and I will try to do it more often.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s